[Ns-developers] Public 5G-LENA v0.2 release

Natale Patriciello natale.patriciello at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 06:33:49 PST 2019

/% I apologize if you receive multiple copies of this announcement %/

Hi all,

On behalf of the 5G-LENA team, I'm forwarding here the official release
statement of 5G-LENA v0.2.

Nat

The official launch of 5G-LENA is here!

What is 5G-LENA?
================

5G-LENA is a novel 5G NR network simulator, licensed under the GPLv2,
that allows getting indicators from PHY to application layer from an
end-to-end simulation of a 5G deployment. We designed it as a pluggable
module for the widely known network simulator ns-3. The simulator is the
natural evolution of LENA, the LTE/EPC Network Simulator,  which was
entirely designed and developed at CTTC in close consultation with
industry, and with funding of Ubiquiys.

Why is it interesting?
======================

The simulator inherits all the exciting features of ns-3, like the full
stack and end-to-end capabilities, the multi-band and multi-radio access
technology characteristics, e.g., with WiFi/WiGig, the ability to build
hybrid HW/SW prototypes, etc.

Can I have a touch of the 5G-LENA features?

As of February 2019, it is aligned with NR Release 15 TS 38.300 and it
includes fundamental PHY-MAC NR features like NR frame structure,
support of numerologies, flexible TTI, mini-slots, mixed UL-DL slot
formats, OFDMA- and TDMA-based access, a selection of schedulers, NR
timings, FDM of numerologies, and UL standard-compliant scheme with
SR/UL-grant/BSR.

How can I get it?
=================

If you are interested in getting the software, please drop us an email
at info at 5g-lena.cttc.es, and we will be happy to grant you access. When
obtaining this code, you should realize that there is a lot of work and
goodwill behind it. As a result, any feedback on the code, in terms of
bug reports, engagement in the community, feature contribution, is
highly appreciated.

What are the future directions?
===============================

Its development, initially funded by InterDigital, Inc., is open to the
community to foster early adoption, contributions by industrial and
academic partners, collaborative development and results
reproducibility. The development of the simulator is still ongoing, and
more releases will come out soon. Currently, the efforts are focused on
1) refactoring of the PHY layer through a new Link-to-System Mapping for
NR, and 2) Beyond 5G extensions to NR, for its use in unlicensed
spectrum (NR-U).

How can I get more information?

We have a website in which you can satisfy your curiosity, at
http://5g-lena.cttc.es (the HTTPS version will be online soon). Without
any doubt, we would love to hear from you for a possible collaboration!

The 5G-LENA team