[Ns-developers] Contiki over ns-3

Daniel Camara daniel.camara at inria.fr
Fri Mar 30 00:21:43 PDT 2012

Hi Takai, Apart from the specifics of the project proposal, the best way to proceed is to follow the steps of the student guide ( http://www.nsnam.org/wiki/index.php/GSOC2012StudentGuide ) fill the form as described in http://www.nsnam.org/wiki/index.php/GSOC2012StudentApplicationTemplate and submit your proposal through the site http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012 , prior than April 9. I guess it would help also to subscribe the developers list ( http://mailman.isi.edu/mailman/listinfo/ns-developers ) and discuss your ideas with a broader community. The decision of the candidates and projects should be mentored will be made by the whole ns-3 developers community, so it can be good for you to present yourself and your ideas/interests there so that people get to know you and the project you are interested on. I am adding the ns-developers list in cc list so that the discussion will be publicly available. Specifically about the Contiki project, the main idea is to create a new architecture for Contiki, that will be, lets say, ns-3 architecture. This new architecture will implement all the interfaces required by Contiki, so that the operating system will run natively over ns-3. The approach is different from the one followed by the Cooja simulator. We do not intend to run, or emulate the run, of the binaries of a given architecture (e.g. arm). In the end what would be desirable is to run Contiki over a ns-3 architecture, so that not only Contiki will be unaware that it is running over a simulator, but also that it is consistent with the ns-3 simulation. E.g. it is consistent with the ns-3 time, either simulated or real time. Ideally Contiki should be able to use the various other resources provided by ns-3, for example, the various communications interfaces and protocols available on ns-3, but that can be let for a second (or third, or .... Nth :) version of the ns-3_Contiki implementation. Since that would require a considerable bigger implementation effort. Best regards... Daniel INRIA ----- Mail original -----