[Ns-developers] bugzilla proposals

Tommaso Pecorella tpecorella at mac.com
Tue Mar 27 12:07:25 PDT 2012

Wonderful. I'm changing stuff to the new statuses as well. Very handy to keep my Eclipse / Bugzilla interface clean.

About the ns-unassigned at isi.edu, my concern was that people might not check ns-bugs at isi.edu and a different e-mail could help spotting bugs that need some lovin'.

On the other hand, I bet that those not looking at ns-bugs at isi.edu would probably not look at ns-unassigned at isi.edu either, so the end result would be to just increase the Entropy of the Universe. So +1 for keeping just ns-bugs at isi.edu.

Cheers,

T.

On 27 Mar 2012, at 20:46, Tom Henderson wrote:

> On 21.03.2012 09:14, Vedran Miletić wrote:
>> 2012/3/21 Tom Henderson <tomh at tomh.org>:
>>> Tommaso, Daniel, and I had a discussion today about modifications to the
>>> tracker, which we plan to discuss at the meeting but are first socializing
>>> on the list.
>>>
>>> - we need a clearer means to detect when a patch is sitting ready to be
>>> applied for a bug fix, but just needs review.  We discussed adding a new
>>> status field 'PATCH PENDING' for this state.
>>
>> +1
>>
>>> - we should move bugs out of NEW state to either ASSIGNED, UNCONFIRMED, or
>>> VERIFIED.  A bug in ASSIGNED state means that the assignee has agreed to
>>> produce a patch; i.e. it is not valid to assign to ns-bugs at isi.edu.  When in
>>> UNCONFIRMED or VERIFIED but not assigned, the assignee could either be the
>>> existing ns-bugs at isi.edu, or a new address ns-unassigned at isi.edu, which
>>> would need to be created (I might suggest to just reuse ns-bugs at isi.edu
>>> unless a reason is provided otherwise). It could be implied that state
>>> 'VERIFIED' means we want a patch, or we could instead use a more explicit
>>> 'PATCH WANTED' status.
>>
>> +1 for 'PATCH WANTED'
>>

> I learned that "VERIFIED" is reserved for closed bugs, and is intended for Q/A team to verify the resolution.  I introduced a "CONFIRMED" state instead that corresponds to Open status.
>
> As a result, I added three new states corresponding to "Open" status:
> - CONFIRMED
> - PATCH WANTED
> - PATCH PENDING
>
> and I have started to use these states in the tracker, and we can see how it goes.
>
> - Tom

Thinking evolution:
 "To be is to do" - Socrates
 "To do is to be" - Sartre