[Ns-developers] My Hello World Mail

Tommaso Pecorella tpecorella at mac.com
Mon Mar 26 07:47:17 PDT 2012

Hi,

we discussed this point in the dev meeting, and the general consensus was that the project, in order to be successful, should be "ready to be merged" by the end of GSOC. This means that the specific GSOC task can be limited in its scope, however it should contain all the documentation, tests and so on so to be evaluated for a merge.

This does not mean that one can not continue working on the project. As an example, one could aim to implement Protocol X. If, in order to make it work, one should do also Protocols Y and Z, we prefer to have Protocol X well done and Y+Z implemented with placeholders or extremely simple assumptions rather than all of them not working 'cuz they're all half-done.

I hope this clarify your question.

Best regards,

T.

On 26/mar/2012, at 07:13, Shikhar Srivastav wrote:

> Thank you for the informative response. I was starting to think that maybe my mail was not approved.
>
> I had one more question though.
> What are your expectations regarding this project over the GSoC period? As i have already mentioned i plan to continue this project one more year because from the looks of it, it seemed like it can't be done in one year.
>
> Any clarification in this area would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Shikhar
> On Mar 25, 2012 7:23 PM, "Tommaso Pecorella" <tpecorella at mac.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for the not-so-fast reply, but we was attending WNS3 and the Dev meeting.
>
> I'm happy you are interested in this GSOC idea. To my best knowledge there is no current SCTP implementation for ns-3, so you'll have to start from scratch more or les (and this could be an advantage). You can start by looking at how UDP implementation is interacting with lower layers, so I'd go for the src/internet/module folder and he udp-l4-* files.
>
> As for the second question, the best place is the tutorial and the manual (if you're not already "fluent" in ns-3), then move to the internet module and understand how the various L4 layer protocols (TCP and UDP) do interact with the corresponding L3 ones.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tommaso
>

> On 22 Mar 2012, at 08:52, Shikhar Srivastav wrote:
>
>> Hello Developers,
>>
>> This is my first mail to the ns-dvelopers mailing list.
>> I am a 3rd Year Computer Science Student at Indian Institute of Technology
>> Ropar and I want to participate in this year's GSoC.
>> I wish to do a project on implementing SCTP in NS3. It is currently part of
>> my curriculum project, but i wish to continue this project in my 4th year
>> also (as part of my bachelor's project).
>>
>> I have read RFC 3286 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3286> An Introduction
>> to the Stream Control Transmission Protocol,
>> and part of RFC 6458 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6458> Sockets API
>> Extensions for the Stream Control Transmission Protocol.
>> I have a few queries which are as follows:-
>> 1) What work is currently being done/has been in implementing SCTP (if any)?
>> 2) What would be the best place to start so that i could assist in the
>> project most efficiently?
>>
>> Thank You,
>> Shikhar Srivastav

> $25: for you a pizza and some beers with friends, for someone
>      might change their lives. Think about it.
>
> Kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

> Tommaso Pecorella - Ph.D.
>
> Assistant professor
> Dpt. Elettronica e Telecomunicazioni
> Università di Firenze
>
> CNIT - Università di Firenze Unit
>
> via di S. Marta 3
> 50139, Firenze
> ITALY
>
> email: tommaso.pecorella at unifi.it
>        tommaso.pecorella at cnit.it
>
> phone : +39-055-4796412
> [...]

``... anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the
  work he is supposed to be doing at that moment.''
-- Robert Benchley, in Chips off the Old Benchley, 1949

email: tommaso.pecorella at unifi.it
       tommaso.pecorella at cnit.it