[Ns-developers] GSOC 2012

Lalith Suresh suresh.lalith at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 14:34:40 PDT 2012

Hi Sindhuja,

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 5:29 PM, V.Sindhuja <intutivestriker88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you so much for the response. I was going through the list of
> criterion to select a project and came across
> -Impact and relevance to future users of ns-3?
> - Availability of a mentor for the suggested project.

If you're picking something from the ideas page, the above two
shouldn't be a problem as long as you have developed a strong
proposal.

> These are not things that are in my purview and I dont want to lose out on
> being able to do a project based on these. Considering the NAT and Netfilter
> part has been already worked on and that in IPV6 we need to add new
> features. I am unable to chose based on these. Do help me out ! I'd love to
> chose one and give it my 100% or choose all three and give a 300% ! :)

So really, pick one that interests you the most, and start working on
a proposal. See below for some quick pointers on the topics you
suggested:

>> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM, V.Sindhuja <intutivestriker88 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

[snip]

>> > 1) *ns-3 Firewall model*
>> >
>> > After having gone through the code base that exists for the initial work
>> > w.r.t to Net filter is see that there exists a netfilter-based
>> > infrastructure to filter the packets. I would like to evaluate if the
>> > following are the additions to be made:
>> >

>> >   -       Interface for adding the IPV4 rules instead of having to hard
>> >   code.
>> >   -       IPV6 support module for the filtering.
>> >   -       Any additional firewall functionalities e.g. port knocking,
>> >   IPSec implementation.
>> >
>> >  It would be great if I could get an idea on what would be focusing on
>> > primarily so that I can focus my proposal on that.
>> >

>> > 2) *Network Address and Port Translation (NAT) models*
>> >
>> > Nat is an integral part of the Firewall model as well. I also see that
>> > as
>> > part of GSOC 2009 project by Qasim Javed has worked on both the modules.
>> >
>> > Please let me know if the following would be the working direction of
>> > this
>> > project:
>> >

>> >   - Addition of a Nat Traversal and Nat Exemption interfaces to support
>> >   IPSec.
>> >   - Multiple NAT Types implementation.
>> >
>> > I see that the existing model does handle the pack processing with hooks
>> > and the nat priority on them. However I would like to know the primary
>> > focus would be on this as well in order to write my proposal.

There has been some discussion on the above two on the mailing list
over the last few days. Have a look.

I'd say you're on the right track, but in any case, I've cc-ed Adrian
to pitch in comments since he's the concerned mentor.

>> > 3) *IPv6 stack validation and improvements*
>> >

>> >   - The features that we implement are they specific to the list given?
>> >   - What is the recommended size of features to be implemented? This is
>> >   taking into account the depth of implementation and the time frame.
>> > For
>> >   example implementation of IPSec would take long time in itself
>> > considering
>> >   the several types we may want to add in VPN models.

Again, you're on the right track. As the proposal says, the list of
features provided isn't exhaustive. But I think it would be reasonable
to pick say, one large/hard or two medium ones out of the proposed
features and get some polished code merged by the end of the summer
rather than half implementing too many features.

Out of the list provided, I'd say path MTU discovery is super
important. So look at src/internet/model/ipv6-l3-protocol.cc, and see
how you can fit RFC 1981 into it. And get a draft proposal ready soon
so that you can start iterating on it with the mentors.

Tommaso and Andrea should be able to guide you better on the
scope/size of the features and what you should focus on.

--
Lalith Suresh
www.lalith.in