[Ns-developers] gsoc 2012

Tommaso Pecorella tpecorella at mac.com
Sun Mar 25 09:47:24 PDT 2012

Hi Guillaume,

indeed, that's the right thing to do.

I pointed out to make sure you was aware of the proposal as you wasn't in the CC and Gaurav didn't mention he was already in contact with you. With "poke" I didn't meant private e-mails, but at least for me, I often loose e-mails and such, so...
Maybe I had to explain the concept with a few more words indeed, sorry for the added noise.

Cheers,

T.

On 25 Mar 2012, at 18:35, Guillaume Rémy wrote:

> Hi Tommaso, Hi Gaurav,
>
> I'd like to clarify a point: I suggested Gaurav to discuss its idea here, because that is how we do for the project discussion phase. However, I asked him to post only its ideas here, and not its application form.
>
> As several students contacted me for this project on VANET, I think it's the right place to discuss the project, as other projects are also discussed on this mailing list since the begin of GSoC projects discussions.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Guillaume
>
> Le 25 mars 2012 16:41, "Tommaso Pecorella" <tpecorella at mac.com> a écrit :
> Hi Gurav,
>
> I guess you need to submit your proposal through GSOC website (the melange one).
>
> Also, I'd suggest to poke directly the developers more involved in Vehicular Ad-hoc Networks, as reading your e-mail it seems that you're interested in developing that topic in particular. That's in order to fine-tune your GSOC proposal of course.
>
> You'll find the ns-3 GSOC ideas page here: https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/index.php/GSOC2012Projects
> and mind that the ones listed there are just ideas, one can propose new ones as well.
>
> Best regards,
>
> T.
>

> On 24 Mar 2012, at 13:39, gaurav wrote:
>
> > Identity Information
> >  Name. *Gaurav Khandelwal*
> >  Email.* gauravmanik9 at gmail.com, gaurav.ein at gmail.com.*
> >  Homepage: *https://sites.google.com/site/gauravk6789/home.*
> >  Country.* India*
> >  Institution. *BITS-PILANI, HYDERABAD CAMPUS.*
> >  Advisor. (if applicable).* I can talk to my prof , if it is okay with the
> > ns3 organization.*
> > *
> > *
> > Background
> > What experience or training do you have that makes you best suited to this
> > project?
> > *I have done several projects in networking. I have taken course on
> > Computer Networks. I have also done course on Graph Theory.*
> > *Relevant courses:*
> > *1) Computer Networks.*
> > *2) Graph Theory*
> > *3) Discrete Mathematics*
> > *4) Data Structure And Algorithms*
> > *5) 2 Computer Oriented Project in Networks.*
> > *Projects on Networks:*
> > *1) Routing Protocols Over Manets :- I have worked on Adhoc-On-Demand
> > (AODV) routing protocol. I used the queuing theory to improve the routing
> > in AODV. I carried out the simulation in Nctuns( c++).*
> > *2) Improved Object Lookup in Unstructured Peer to Peer Network Overlay- In
> > this, I built a peer to peer Network in C using socket Programming and used
> > the heuristics for improved object lookup.*
> > *3) Solved the traffic engineer problem, at National Level Technical Fest,
> > for which I received the first prize at APOGEE-2009.*
> > *4) I worked on a Study Oriented Project, Detecting Bots in Online Games in
> [...]

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
And if you really don't like all the standards you just have to wait another year until the one arises you are looking for.
-- A. Tanenbaum, "Introduction to Computer Networks"

email: tommaso.pecorella at unifi.it
       tommaso.pecorella at cnit.it