[Ns-developers] GSOC 2012 project : ns-3 optics module - models for WDM network components

Vedran Miletić rivanvx at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 06:37:22 PDT 2012

25. ožujka 2012. 09:33 korisnik Lalith Suresh
<suresh.lalith at gmail.com> napisao je:
> 2012/3/23 Matija Džanko <Matija.Dzanko at fer.hr>:
>> Dear ns3-developers,
>>

>> My name is Matija Džanko and I am PhD student at Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing, Zagreb, Croatia. My areas of research are optical switching technologies and components, especially availability aspect of it.
>>
>> I'm interested in working on models for WDM network components and reliability.
>>
>> I went through the ns3 tutorial and reference manual and also downloaded the source code of ns3 and built the software.
>>
>> I have some experience in C++, though not much in object-oriented approach since we here work more in Java. I am currently reading C++ Primer Plus (6th Edition) (Developer's Library) <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OR9MWQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0321776402&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1GW8YVJEYZ5EK10BFCYR>  to get a grasp of the more advanced concepts I missed.
>>
>> Do you suggest any other literature?
>>

> For C++ literature, it's possible to pick up C++ from the ns-3 code,
> but that's just my opinion. :)
>
> About the optics part itself... Vedran?

Hi Matija,

glad to see that you decided on applying for GSoC. (Matija is a PhD
colleague of mine to whom I mentioned a couple of months ago about
ns-3 and possibility to apply for GSoC to work on it.)

Regarding C++, I read the fifth edition of that book, and it's really
detailed and useful, I doubt sixth edition is worse. So, good choice
on that part.

Regarding ns-3, as Lalith said, after tutorial and manual, I suggest
going through the code for something simple, like point-to-point
module to get the grasp of code organization.

Regarding optical components, I expect to implement the simple ones
(without loss/delay stuff) before GSoC starts. So, you can implement
loss/delay stuff in existing simple devices and complicated ones (e.g.
various OXC/ROADM architectures). Since the complicated ones are
created by composing simple ones in various ways, you can implement
them in ns-3 using helpers that will simplify interconnection.

Note that optics module (for some time at least) will lack control and
management stuff, so any devices you implement will have to be
controlled manually. I have some ideas on how to implement it, but
they are very rough and the whole thing doesn't seem so trivial.

Vedran