[Ns-developers] GSOC 2012

Lalith Suresh suresh.lalith at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 00:38:34 PDT 2012

Hi Sindhuja,

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM, V.Sindhuja <intutivestriker88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am enthralled to be introduced to the NS-3 developers community through
> Google Summer of Code!
>
> I am Sindhuja Venkatesh, a first year Masters in Computer Science student
> at the State University of New York at Buffalo. Before having taken up this
> Masters course I was working with Cisco Systems in their Network Security
> team for two years in India. I also am CCNA R&S, CCNA Security and CCSP
> certified.  At Cisco I was a part of the IPV6 transformation team and
> attended many trainings.
>
> At my masters course I have worked on projects in NS-3 and writing TCL
> Scripts. I am fundamentally interested in networking and also the security
> aspects. I am also currently working on a ‘Hacking the Kernel’ project on
> the FreeBSD based Harvard developed OS161 operating system.
>
> Having gone through the project list I see three projects are my potential
> area of interests:
>

> 1) *ns-3 Firewall model*
>
> After having gone through the code base that exists for the initial work
> w.r.t to Net filter is see that there exists a netfilter-based
> infrastructure to filter the packets. I would like to evaluate if the
> following are the additions to be made:
>

>   -       Interface for adding the IPV4 rules instead of having to hard
>   code.
>   -       IPV6 support module for the filtering.
>   -       Any additional firewall functionalities e.g. port knocking,
>   IPSec implementation.
>
>  It would be great if I could get an idea on what would be focusing on
> primarily so that I can focus my proposal on that.
>

> 2) *Network Address and Port Translation (NAT) models*
>
> Nat is an integral part of the Firewall model as well. I also see that as
> part of GSOC 2009 project by Qasim Javed has worked on both the modules.
>
> Please let me know if the following would be the working direction of this
> project:
>

>   - Addition of a Nat Traversal and Nat Exemption interfaces to support
>   IPSec.
>   - Multiple NAT Types implementation.
>
> I see that the existing model does handle the pack processing with hooks
> and the nat priority on them. However I would like to know the primary
> focus would be on this as well in order to write my proposal.
>

> 3) *IPv6 stack validation and improvements*
>

>   - The features that we implement are they specific to the list given?
>   - What is the recommended size of features to be implemented? This is
>   taking into account the depth of implementation and the time frame. For
>   example implementation of IPSec would take long time in itself considering
>   the several types we may want to add in VPN models.
>
> It would be great to know how I could send in a first draft of the
> proposals( I wouldn’t want to spam everyone on the list). Also I apologize
> for the long mail! I’m just too excited!

While you're allowed to submit multiple proposals, I recommend picking
one topic and giving that proposal your 100%.

The student application window opens tomorrow and you should be able
to upload your proposal on the gsoc website where we can give you
feedback. But you're always welcome to send your proposal out on the
mailing list as well (more eyeballs == more feedback). :)

--
Lalith Suresh
www.lalith.in