[Ns-developers] Ns-3 Wsn GSoc 2012

sahil sharma sharmasahil0913 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 14:10:31 PDT 2012

Hi,
  I got through various resou*rces* and documentation for the energy
model *being
implemented in ns3 for node stop/start project.*

  From what seems to me, overall we have facility for *"Energy source
objects" and "Energy model objects"* where former is generator/ initializer
, notifier, energy calculator of various energy related events and latter
being consumer that uses this energy generated by energy source object.The
Energy Source base class keeps a list of devices . When energy is
completely drained in Energy Source base class, the Energy Source will
notify all devices that uses its energy. Each device can then handle this
event independently, based on the desired behavior when power supply is
drained.

  There were few issues with the above scheme, first and foremost being:

1.*No provision for stopping the nodes* even after Energy source has passed
EnergyDrained message to all the devices[as in Gsoc   ideas list] : I read
a few solutions for them i.e. taking depleted node and isolate it
completely from the current system OR
losing the contact between above layers and physical layers to not let it
receive or send further messages.

To me, though both of them might fix the problem temporarily but they
doesn't seem to be a generalized solution to the above posed challenge as
nodes would still be active i.e application layer still sending packets to
lower layers and thus making things unreal [node with nill energy still
generating messages, best unrealistic thing one can ever achieve]

Though i am still researching more about it and how the things have been
fixed up by other simulators, but i have few solutions that can be
implemented to fix this thing:

 (A)   *Early stoppage for the node:* EnergyDrain message being passed to
the devices can also be passed from the source to
          application layer for abnormal termination[i.e. resetting end
time] and thus not allowing it to send any messages further.
          Thus, we can create blockage to messages at the uppermost layer
itself. I hope, it won't create any undesired cross
          inter-dependence between the layers.

 (B)   *Extending network lifetime:* Network lifetime considered as
depletion of first node, we can provide scheme such that if
         battery level of node goes below a certain threshold, we can
remove particular node's support completely from relaying,
         thus saving energy for early depleting nodes.

I have other ideas like giving a support through *parallel continuous
energy supplying source*[that should be effective with existing energy
source model which gives initial fixed energy] to support research work
done in *Energy scavenging*. And one thing that i found really lacking was
not considering *CPU usage* as the energy consumption thing where now in
world of multimedia, this factor is power hungry too. If implemented, we
can support energy aware processing and security mechanisms easily in  NS3.

Though, few of these suggestions may sound unrealistic or inefficient to be
implemented, but i am trying to get in as much details as possible to
implement the suitable changes in a better way.

Any suggestions OR the idea that you feel can be better than this ?

Sahil Sharma