[Ns-developers] Regarding Project

Tommaso Pecorella tpecorella at mac.com
Thu Mar 22 16:28:06 PDT 2012

Hi,

On 21 Mar 2012, at 16:11, mukund tripathi wrote:

> i have been reading about the '6LoWPAN-nd' to get a better insight
> into the topic .
>
> From, the first RFC , what i felt was the major objective :
>
> ' In some cases, especially in dense deployments, abstraction of several nodes
> to provide a service may be beneficial.  In order to enable such
> features, new protocols may have to be designed '
>
> Also , i feel that address auto configuration is another issue that
> needs a better implementation . In addition , mesh routing protocols
> can be optimized for performance .
>
>> From the second one , the major problems / issues needed to be
> resolved seemed :
>
> 1. Optimize Neighbor Discovery with a mechanism that is minimal yet
>    sufficient for the operation in both mesh-under and route-over
>    configurations.
>
> 2.  Minimize signaling by avoiding the use of multicast flooding and
>    reducing the use of link-scope multicast messages.
>
> Kindly advise me if i can make these as my major objectives for the
> project proposal ?

Yes and yes.

> Can i please have the source code for the existing protocol so that i
> can start understanding it and making small changes  ?

No. I said it once already. There is no code yet. GSOC isn't about doing small changes to existing code (well, sometimes, but this isn't the case).

Actually ns-3 does a full-flagged IPv6 protocol exchange for those two points, involving NS, NA, and so on. The target is to design and write the code that does what 6LoWPAN-nd proposes, so there is NO code already done. You asked already and it's not that if you ask it again kindly the code will magically appear, isn't it ?

If you, viceversa, meant the ns-3 code about IPv6 and actual behavior, it's all in the src/internet/module folder.

Cheers,

T.

Thinking evolution:
 "To be is to do" - Socrates