[Ns-developers] Ns-3 Wsn GSoc 2012

Tommaso Pecorella tpecorella at mac.com
Wed Mar 21 14:29:35 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'd like to give you a lengthy answer, but I'm leaving tomorrow morning for the WNS3 workshop, so I'll need to be short.

Me and Vedran Miletic already did some thinking about the way to do it, and we had some ideas. On the other hand, I don't want to limit your creativity (it's part of GSOC to be propose your approach, we're here to guide you, not to tell you "do this, do that").

Anyway, the target is, as said in the proposal, to increase the flexibility of the Energy Model and the way the various ns-3 models can interact with it in order to achieve the desired functionality. As a hint, I can tell that what me and Vedran was thinking to **seems** to be both elegant, simple and effective. On the other hand, we don't know if it could work as intended. Hence, don't take my words as the Fermat's Last Theorem (i.e., stated and not explained). We could be wrong (or not) and we'll discuss about our ideas in due time.

Cheers,

Tommaso

On 21 Mar 2012, at 22:01, sahil sharma wrote:

> Hi,
>  First of all, I would like to congratulate whole  ns-3 team for being selected in Gsoc2012.
>
>  I would like to work for this start-stop project to modify the energy model being included in the existing ns-3. Energy being an important factor esp. for nodes placed in hostile environment where battery replenishing is not trivial makes energy model to implement suggested changes so that this can be implemented for real-time scenarios.
>
>  I am currently going on through various developments that have been already done into this and it seems to be very interesting to me. I am currently reading about the existing energy model being implemented in ns-3 and thinking for the best possible improvements we can make in order to accomplish our desired functionality.
>
>  Can you suggest me some other good resources to gain more expertise in this?
>
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Lalith Suresh <suresh.lalith at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Tommaso Pecorella <tpecorella at mac.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > I don't know if we can add a new GSOC project idea, or how much we can fine-tune one, but I'd be happy to bend the start/stop one so to include specifically this point.
> >

> Just to clarify, the ideas listed on the ideas page are not binding.
> Proposals that the students come up with needn't be from the Ideas
> page either. So feel free to add any new ideas to the page or edit
> existing ones.
>

> --
> Lalith Suresh
> www.lalith.in

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
And if you really don't like all the standards you just have to wait another year until the one arises you are looking for.
-- A. Tanenbaum, "Introduction to Computer Networks"

email: tommaso.pecorella at unifi.it
       tommaso.pecorella at cnit.it