[Ns-developers] Further ideas of ns-3 in the cloud (Re: Some ideas of ns-3 in the cloud -- GSOC2012)

Ruhao Yao yaoruhao at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 07:21:38 PDT 2012

Professor Henderson,

Thanks very much for your reply, it really help me a lot. Now I get some
further ideas of this project, would you please give me some advice?

 1. Provide an ns-3 parallel supported AMI (Amazon Machine Images),
    which is pre-installed ns-3 with --enable-mpi and other userul
    configurations. We can offer this AMI to the users who want to use
    ns-3 in the cloud. Also EMI (Eucalyptus Machine Image) involved,
    since there is no difference between AMI and EMI. We can also help
    those people who want to use private cloud. In the mean time we can
    offer a document to help user build these AMI and EMI. We also
    update these AMI and EMI if in need.
 2. Fault Tolerance support. Some of the simulation needs a lot of time.
    But cloud is not such stable. For example, some vm instance will
    shut down, then all of the data in that instance would lost (vm
    instance is mainly used for install OS and some tools, data should
    be placed in the storage). This usually happen in the private cloud
    (such as UEC). I think we can do something to preserve the
    simulation status and data. Once the simulation shut down, it can
    restore to the previous status easily. (This idea may need a lot of
    work, beyond the time limitation of GSOC2012)

Also I saw "A particular emphasis in ns-3 is the high degree of realism
in the models (including frameworks for using real application and
kernel code) and integration of the tool with virtual machine
environments and testbeds." in the ns-3 GSOC homepage. Could you please
give me some guidance about what is the integration of the tool with
virtual machine environments? Is it the same with testbeds like ORBIT?

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help.

Regards.

--
Ruhao Yao
Beijing Key Laboratory of Internet Security Technology