[Ns-developers] Ns-3 Wsn GSoc 2012

Tommaso Pecorella tpecorella at mac.com
Sun Mar 18 03:54:37 PDT 2012

Hi Marcus,

I'm including Tom Henderson in the mail since he's behind the 802.15.4 implementation (still a work-in-progress but in very good shape). Vedran Mletic because we share the start/stop idea and ns-dev mailing list as more could be interested.

One thing in my to-do list was exactly the one you mentioned: check out the integration between Tom's 802.15.4 stack model and battery model, so to shut down the sensor at appropriate time.

This point goes toward the direction of one of GSOC ideas (the start/stop models). As a matter of fact it IS the reason of that GSOC idea :)

The two topics are kinda orthogonal, but they're very tight to each other. Start / Stop is the general model to have the Energy Model driving a shutdown (or a restart) of a sensor node. However, since ns-3 solutions should be not specific to one model only (when possible), the idea does not mention the applicability only to WSN as a specific goal.

The direct application of the Start / Stop model (or better, its first test) would be to add the Energy Model support to Tom's 802.15.4 stack and check it. Now, about different MAC models, there's a very interesting paper (it's the one I was referring to in that mail):

Adam Dunkels. The ContikiMAC Radio Duty Cycling Protocol. Technical Report T2011:13, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, December 2011.
from http://www.contiki-os.org/p/publications-and-talks.html
http://www.sics.se/%7Eadam/dunkels11contikimac.pdf

If you read it, you'll see that even within 802.15.4 the MAC model can drive different power consumption. Now you can be puzzled as much as you want. Go ahead. 802.15.4 shall be always the same and drain always the same battery...

No, it doesn't. And other MAC models don't either. Different hardware, different HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer), more or less efficient chip driving... different battery drains :)

To model that, however, there's no need to go so deeply in the modeling. It's enough to have the right hooks to the Energy Model in the general MAC model, so to bind to the main operations (receive a packet, etc) different energies. The paper give us also some data.

I don't know if we can add a new GSOC project idea, or how much we can fine-tune one, but I'd be happy to bend the start/stop one so to include specifically this point.

The new idea could look like:
- Review of the Energy Model ... [etc. like the actual one].
- The new model can be tested over the ongoing 801.5.4 stack (in development) so to include different energy consumption models.

Either way, I was going to discuss with Tom about this soon (i.e., next week), so to find a common development path as, GSOC or not, my plan goes toward that direction.

Tom and Vedran: what do you think (and Marcus as well) ?

Best regards,

T.

On 18 Mar 2012, at 04:07, Marcus Tenório. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I saw in the page of GSOC acceptance of NS-3 project as one of the
> organizations of this year. And that you will be one of the mentors
> for the project this year. I am a student doing research in WSN,
> specifically in the area of power management and Realistic Battery
> Models. After testing a lot of simulators, I noticed that the ns-3 was
> not built in a few ways to WSN, I found interesting since there is a
> realistic model of battery, In one of his emails on the list of ns-3,
> which you quote : “A wireless SENSOR network would have to use
> different MAC protocols and, right, now, they are not available.”,
> I wonder how is the development of WSN for ns-3 and wish I could help
> with this development, first thought of GSoC12 but perhaps due to its
> proximity will not bepossible, but wish I could help in developing,
> studying for a while to be able to help in the code and help the
> community or something like that, below is a small information about
> me  and I'm waiting for the answer, thanks for listening.
>

> Country. Brazil
>
> Institution. UFCG
>
> What experience or training do you have that makes you best suited to
> this project?
>
> I'm working almost two years with WSN simulators in a undergraduate project
>
> What is your previous experience with ns-3?
>
> I have more experience with ns-2 and SENSE, and I am willing to help
> in developing the study of WSN with the ns-3, so my knowledge is very
> basic
>
> Education
> Undergrauate: 2010- Nov  computer science.
>
> When did you started your current studies?
> 2010
>
> Work
> I worked in a team competition in the category Virtual Robots
> (http://www.robocuprescue.org/wiki/index.php?title=Virtualrobots)
> where I had experiences with python and c + +, Besides working with
> research in WSN.
>
> Have you ever worked on open source projects?
> No.
>
> Research.
>
> researched in the following areas digital television,wsn and robotics
>

> If I left any questions open or there is something you want to know,
> feel free to ask
>

> --
> Marcus Tenório
>
> "And I Know, even as we face this hungry beast and his corps, he may
> take our lives here today, but he will never take everything"
>
> "You know what we need, Hobbes? We need an attitude."
>
> Electrical Engineering and Informatics Center - CEEI - www.ceei.ufcg.edu.br
> Federal University of Campina Grande - UFCG - www.ufcg.edu.br

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
And if you really don't like all the standards you just have to wait another year until the one arises you are looking for.
-- A. Tanenbaum, "Introduction to Computer Networks"

email: tommaso.pecorella at unifi.it
       tommaso.pecorella at cnit.it

Thinking evolution:
 "To be is to do" - Socrates