[Ns-developers] Project Query

Tommaso Pecorella tpecorella at mac.com
Sat Mar 17 14:29:40 PDT 2012

Hi Mukund,

I'm replying from a different account or ns-dev mailing list will complain.

On 17 Mar 2012, at 12:28, mukund tripathi wrote:

> Sir ,
> I am an aspirant to work for one of the interesting projects offered
> by ns-3 at gsoc . Kindly help me out with a few things !
>
> 1. How much different is ns-3 environment different from ns-2 as i am
> familiar with the latter.

ns-3 is very different from ns-2. They share the basic concepts of Discrete Event Network Simulators, but beside that ns-3 evolution made it quite different from his "father".
There are still events and so on, but if you look at the classes they're almost completely different. On the other hand, the target is the same, so IP interfaces (for example) might be quite similar. However that's because both ns-2 and ns-3 are simulating a common thing: IP.

Plus, ns-2 was using heavily Tcl, while ns-3 is using Python instead, and in a quite different way.

> 2.The terminology 'optimized methods' for  neighbor discovery in
> sensor networks as i have studied in a related course are basically
> optimizations of the hello packet exchange . Kindly help me if i am
> approaching in the right direction .

Yes and no. It is similar to hello packets, but it's related to IPv6 Neighbor Solicitation / Neighbor Advertise (NS/ND). That's sthe "standard" way for IPv6 to discover IPv6 address collisions and it's quite chatty on normal networks. For WSN there is a specific standard (6LoWPAN-nd) covering that aspect and defining how to "do it right" in 802.15.4 networks.

Consider that hello packets are more or less just a scholastic thing. Real networks do use more complex and reliable methods.

> 3.If i am interested in more than one projects you have offered and
> have  knowledge of the related topics , please help me out with which
> one I should pursue ??

Sorry but I can't really help on this point. I'd suggest to choose the one you have more knowledge on (protocol-wise) so to have a smoother documentation read and design phase. I could tell you which one, in my opinion, are the hardest ones, but this info is already in the wiki page :)

If you ask for a specific project, tho, I'll be happy to clarify your doubts about it.

Best regards,

T.

$25: for you a pizza and some beers with friends, for someone
     might change their lives. Think about it.

Kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

email: tommaso.pecorella at unifi.it
       tommaso.pecorella at cnit.it