[Ns-developers] My interests of ns-3 in the cloud

Ruhao Yao yaoruhao at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 02:41:25 PDT 2012

Hi all,

This is Ruhao Yao from Peking University. Thanks to Google Summer of
Code, I'm getting started to know ns-3. After read through the GSOC 2012
ideas, I'm strongly interested in "ns-3 in the cloud".

_*/I'm wondering how large the scale that ns-3 can simulate. Also, what
is the main problem of ns-3 using MPI to construct large distributed
simulations?/*_

Below is my self introduction for you to know me well. Thanks so much!

I'm now a first year Master student of Computer Science, my lab focus on
P2P network security. My main study is about P2P network simulator. I
want to develop a large scale P2P simulator (millions of p2p nodes). Due
to single host resource limitation, I choose parallel simulation as the
only way.

My Bachelor's thesis is "Cloud-based Simulator of P2P network", I make a
distributed model of parallel simulation (which now seem to be so
naive). I defiend two models of servers, CCS (Central Contrl Server),
which is used to allocate node ids and fake ips to NSS (Node Simulate
Server). Each NSS simulates a number of P2P nodes, also it serves as a
simple router (So nodes on different NSS can communicate with each
other). Each P2P node is based on a modified aMule class. With that
design, I can ran a 500,000 scale of simulation (1 CCS, 5NSS on 5 Ubuntu
Enterprise Cloud virtual machine). Regardless of synchronization, the
simulation can maintain only 10 minutes. Then it would shut down of
memory leaks.

After Bachelor degree graduation, I'm continue doing this research in my
Master degree period. My mentor advice me to develop a real cloud based
simulator, which can interact with virtual machine administrator, can do
parallel simulation with large scale of nodes (especially P2P network).
I first find some popular simulator. OMNeT++, a main stream framework
for network simulation, also can ran parallel simulation with MPI. I
deploy a 2 nodes parallel simulation under OMNeT++ 4.1, but it failed.
OMNeT++ released 4.2.1 this February, I tried but still failed. After
modified some Envir codes, it can work, but inefficient. Then I tried
OverSim (a p2p network simulator over OMNeT++), it implements p2p
simulation quite well, but due to some OMNeT++ parallel restrictions, it
cannot run parallelly.

Though the main goal of my study is to develop a real cloud based p2p
network simulator, I think the first step should be parallel simulator
in cloud. So that's why I'm so interested in this topic. I have deploy a
UEC (private cloud, built by Eucalytus, Amazon EC2 compatible) in my lab
to run the experiment for my Bachelor's thesis. I think it can be used
during my study of ns-3 in the cloud.

Regards.

--
Ruhao Yao
Beijing Key Laboratory of Internet Security Technology