[Ns-developers] Open bugs - partial list of suggestions

Tom Henderson tomh at tomh.org
Tue Mar 13 23:46:24 PDT 2012

On 03/13/2012 01:31 PM, Vedran Miletić wrote:
> 2012/1/9 Tommaso Pecorella<tpecorella at mac.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> my bad, now it's in read-write mode. I'm happy you're on it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tommaso
>
> Tommaso, can you define a realistic release goal here, i.e. "it would
> be a great idea to close all these for 3.14" or "we should update info
> on all, but close at least a half"? So we can organize this into some
> kind of a bug marathon or so.
>
> Vedran

 From my perspective, what would help most is to use the tracker to keep
better track of who plans to do what by when.  It is not clear who is
working on specific bugs.  We could use some combination of bug
assignment and priority to track this.

A bug with an assignee and status ASSIGNED (or REOPENED) and priority
greater than P5 implies that someone is working on it and could be
nagged periodically by release managers for status.

There are some bugs in there that are left in for very long time as
reminders that future enhancements would be welcome.  However, it
probably is not clear to newcomers that a patch would be welcome here if
it shows as being ASSIGNED.

I also think that release managers should be reviewing the tracker and
trying to close things out, so I support what Tommaso is trying to do,
but perhaps just suggesting to use the tracker instead of a separate
spreadsheet.  This would also help avoid the wiki bug lists that I have
maintained during recent releases.

- Tom

p.s. a long time ago, Craig wrote up this, which we are not diligent
enough to stick to, but we could revisit:

http://www.nsnam.org/wiki/index.php/User_FAQ#Bug_Priorities