[Ns-developers] Documentation-related topic for dev-meeting, doc to discuss

Tommaso Pecorella tpecorella at mac.com
Tue Mar 13 11:17:03 PDT 2012

Hi Nicola,

you're totally right. I just rephrased the web page to change the "should consider" to harder forms like "must".

Of course we should change that web page to reflect the new modular structure. Indeed, changing that web page is a priority.

Cheers,

T.

On 13 Mar 2012, at 18:37, Nicola Baldo wrote:

> Hi Tommaso,
>

> On 03/13/2012 01:44 AM, Tommaso Pecorella wrote:
>> In http://www.nsnam.org/developers/contributing-code/supporting-material/
>> add the following:
>> * Update the existing (or add a new) section in the doc/manual by editing the /doc/[module].rst file.
>> instead of the milder
>> * consider updating or adding a new section to the manual in doc/manual/
>
> doc/manual actually just documents the core module. All the other modules have their sources in src/modulename/doc/.
>

>> Also rephrase:
>> * Updating or adding a new section to the tutorial in doc/tutorial/ is strongly suggested.
>
> Similarly to my previous comment, the current doc/tutorial covers just a few modules. If we were to add tutorial-like information for every module in doc/tutorial, it would become a mess. Instead, we should ask to put this documentation too in src/modulename/doc. I think this is in line with ns-3 being modular, and is better suited for a future migration to the app-store concept. Some of the existings ns-3 modules already follow a similar approach, see the current ns-3 models library documentation. We also followed a similar approach in LENA for the documentation of the lte, buildings and antenna modules.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nicola

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
And if you really don't like all the standards you just have to wait another year until the one arises you are looking for.
-- A. Tanenbaum, "Introduction to Computer Networks"

email: tommaso.pecorella at unifi.it
       tommaso.pecorella at cnit.it