[Ns-developers] Modelling and implementing hub-like devices in ns-3

Gustavo Carneiro gjcarneiro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 10:38:32 PST 2012

2012/3/7 Vedran Miletić <rivanvx at gmail.com>

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm working on optics module and some help is needed. How would one
> implement L1 hub-like NetDevice in ns-3? Specifically, I would need
> this:
>
> PtPNetDevice -- MyHubNetDevice -- PtPNetDevice
>                                               |---- PtPNetDevice
>                                               |---- PtPNetDevice

There is a fundamental problem that I see with the PtpNetDevice on the
left.  Since it is a point-to-point protocol, each ppp device can only be
connected to one other ppp device.  You may need to make some ppp protocol
tricks to make this work.

> Ignore collisions and other stuff as a problem for now, I just want
> something that will cooperate with Ipv4GlobalRouting or any other IPv4
> routing implementation.

To make Ipv4 work, each PtP needs a separate IP address, but all in the
same subnetwork, just like an ethernet device.

This is weird, but good luck getting it to work :-)

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
INESC Porto, UTM, WiN, http://win.inescporto.pt/gjc