[Ns-developers] Translating ns-3 tutorial and bug support

Tom Henderson tomh at tomh.org
Sun Mar 4 21:05:42 PST 2012

On 02/23/2012 04:40 PM, Tommaso Pecorella wrote:
> I agree on (almost) everything.
>
> My only concern is about the sync. If we change the tutorial we need a
> way to keep the translation up-to-date or, at least, to point out the
> fact that the translation might be based on an old version.
>
> I'd propose to simply add to the translated tutorial(s) a statement
> pointing out what version the translation is based on.
> Something like "Translation based on ns-3.13" (translated ofc).
>
> If we don't change the tutorial from one version to the next, the line
> might be changed before the new release is finalized also by someone
> that doesn't understand the language, as it's just a plain number in a
> specific position.
> If we do change the tutorial and the translators will not update it, we
> can simply leave the information unchanged and the reader will be aware
> that he/she might be reading stuff slightly outdated.

I went ahead and checked in the translation; the above detail is lingering.

I'm assuming that we will usually have a maintainer who updates the
translation if the main tutorial changes.  So, as two additional steps
of the release managers' duties, I propose to add the following
documentation steps to doc/release_steps.txt:

- release manager is responsible for communicating any changes to the
tutorial during the release cycle to the translation maintainer.  If the
translation becomes unmaintained, it should be marked with a prominent
note such as "Translation based on ns-3.x" (for whatever release it is
current with).

- release manager should survey the manual and model library
documentation and look to make updates according to changes that were
made to the codebase during the release cycle.

Tom