[Ns-developers] Possible points to discuss in next dev meeting.

Tommaso Pecorella tpecorella at mac.com
Sat Mar 3 17:19:43 PST 2012

Hi Tom and all,

indeed, the more prepared we arrive at the meeting, the better.

I'll try to edit and post a draft for both the items below. Mind I'm an enthusiast follower of "be short or they'll not read", so at the end they'll be both simple, concise and going straight to the point.

The exact opposite of my e-mails :)

Cheers,

Tommaso

On 4 Mar 2012, at 02:06, Tom Henderson wrote:

> On 03/03/2012 04:10 AM, Tommaso Pecorella wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'd like to propose the following points for a quick discussion in the next dev meeting:
>>
>> 1) Code documentation.
>> Rationale: there was a good effort in fixing DoxyGen errors, and some ongoing work on documenting "forgotten" functions in various models. On the other hand, there are modules that are almost totally undocumented. The immediate consequence is an increasing difficulty in extending existing models and in using them, as their internal working model is hard to understand. We do need a more specific policy about modules documentation, and a shared action plan to fix what's already in the codebase.
>> Possible (new) guidelines should include: modules design (just the important stuff) in .rst, *all* the public methods/variables documented (mandatory, all the relevant protected or private members/variables documented.
>>
>>  2) Short netiquette for the mailing lists and how to make them public.
>> Rationale: especially for ns-users there is the concrete possibility of an Endless September. This have to be somewhat limited without being too harsh.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tommaso
>
> I added those to the list of suggested topics here:
> https://www.nsnam.org/wiki/index.php/DevelMeetingMarch2012
> as well as adding a few other topics.
>
> Given that we have limited time at the meeting, a lot of potential topics, and not everyone can attend, I would like to suggest that, where possible, we try to introduce what we want to discuss and what actions (if any) we are seeking, on the developers list in advance of the meeting.
>
> For instance, considering the above two topics, if you can try to refine a specific proposal (e.g. "I suggest the following specific documentation requirements for new modules, and the following plan to align our codebase..." and "Here is proposed netiquette for the ns-3-users list..") and post it to the developers list in advance, we can spend the meeting time to focus on the controversial aspects, or take it off the agenda if there is already violent agreement.
>
> - Tom

Thinking evolution:
 "To be is to do" - Socrates
 "To do is to be" - Sartre