[Ns-developers] LTE development: first public release of the LENA project

Nicola Baldo nbaldo at cttc.es
Thu Mar 10 10:05:36 PST 2011

Hi all,

as officially announced in a press release earlier this month
http://www.ubiquisys.com/femtocell-media-press-releases-id-203.htm
CTTC and Ubiquisys are working together on a LTE simulation model for
ns-3. This project is codenamed LENA (LTE/EPC Network simulAtor).

It is now our please to announce the first public release of the LENA
project, which you can find here:
http://code.nsnam.org/nbaldo/ns-3-lena-trunk/

The LENA code is based on the GSoC 2010 project code by Giuseppe Piro,
which was merged into ns-3-dev last december. With respect to the GSoC
code, the main modifications that we performed are:

- the MAC has been entirely rewritten to support the MAC Scheduler API
defined by the Femto Forum, which is publicly available at this location:
http://www.femtoforum.org/femto/technical.php

- a Round Robin scheduler implementation based on the above API is also
provided

- the RLC API has been redefined  RLC in particular, at this stage only
the API definition is in place, together with a simplified RLC
implementation (RLC TM/UM/AM not available yet)

- the RRC has been entirely rewritten; we plan to reuse part of the GSoC
2010 flow classification code (which we plan to reuse) at a future stage
for the implementation of Traffic Flow Template classifiers.

- network layer functionality has been temporarily disabled; it will be
re-enabled when either RLC/UM or RLC/AM is available.

Please note that the LENA project is still work-in-progress, we are
releasing our code following a "release early, release often" policy.
Future releases of the code will be published at the same URL unless
otherwise announced.

In the near future, we will be working on finalizing the uplink
functionality and the inter-cell interference model, which are currently
supported only to a limited degree. In the mid term, we plan to
introduce the RLC functionality to enable IP networking. In the long
term, we plan to include some EPC elements as well. Eventually, we would
like our code to be merged with ns-3-dev, though at this stage we think
it is still too early to do it due to some key features missing.

Feedback welcome!

With kind regards,

the CTTC LENA developers team
Nicola Baldo