[Ns-developers] tty simulation progress

Gustavo Carneiro gjcarneiro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 10:27:53 PST 2009

2009/1/26 George Riley <riley at ece.gatech.edu>

> Gustavo, a "progress" tty output is very useful. Can you do it for
> non-python sims as well?  I would think a
> "Simulator::ProgressInterval(time)"
> would do it, right?  If you don't care to, I can make the mod.

Sorry, I don't really care about non-python.

However things are not so simple as that.  My python code employs an
adaptive algorithm (like TCP congestion control) that adjusts the interval
of progress updates to target 100ms of real time.  If you don't do that you
risk consuming too much overhead doing the progress update, for fast
simulations, or not updating for a long time for very slow simulations.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
INESC Porto, Telecommunications and Multimedia Unit