[Ns-developers] NS3 Animation Interface and stand-alone animation tool

Jens Mittag jens.mittag at kit.edu
Mon Jan 26 02:41:18 PST 2009

Hi George!

I was reading your description with great interest since we are planning
to do something similar. However, I don't know whether you have the same
objective as we have.

>From what I understand, you basically want to visualize/animate what's
going on in the simulation, right? Down to which degree are you planning
to do so? And what is your objective of the animation?

>From our perspective (University of Karlsruhe), which is development of
distributed network or mac protocols, it would be very helpful to have a
time- and spatial visualization of a network, with the possibility to
control what information is shown (e.g. history of past state changes at
a certain layer, e.g. MAC or PHY) and which is not.

What we have in mind is a framework that

   1) visualizes the layout of the network (i.e. the nodes location)
   2) allows to add/remove visualized information w.r.t. the user's
needs (e.g. by having a layered visualization in which you can hide/show
layers)
   3) allows the investigation of state changes of e.g. the MAC or PHY
layer of one or several specific node(s).
   4) is easily extensible to add new information aspects

In some sense, such a framework would help a lot to verify code and
protocol implementations and understand why a protocol behaves as it
does (e.g. it can support the analysis of complex routing or forwarding
algorithms).

cheers
 Jens

--
Dipl.-Inform. Jens Mittag
University of Karlsruhe

Engesserstr. 2, 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Building 20.50, Room 112

Phone: +49 (721) 608 5768
Fax:   +49 (721) 608 6789

http://dsn.tm.uni-karlsruhe.de/