[Ns-developers] icc and "patched" waf

Mathieu Lacage mathieu.lacage at sophia.inria.fr
Thu Jan 22 05:03:36 PST 2009

hi timo,

I won't comment on the waf problems but, if you are trying to get the
most out of ns-3, the biggest impact you can have on the performance is
to build a static binary: if you build all of the ns-3 object files
without the -fPIC option and link them all in your script, you will get
a fairly big boost in speed: when I did this by hand on a couple of
examples, I got up to 40% runtime improvements. If you want to know how
I did this, I just ran ./waf -v > output and then, wrote a couple of sed
scripts to modify the output and feed this to a shell script.

Ideally, there would be a way to get non-dynamic libraries from our waf
scripts but, I did not want to bother gustavo with this too much and I
was not motivated enough to try to do it myself.

I hope this helps,
Mathieu