[Ns-developers] random variable API-- current status

Tom Henderson tomh at tomh.org
Wed Jan 21 22:22:32 PST 2009

Below are the items that I believe still need to be implemented in
ns-3-rng-changes:

> 6) Add RandomVariable::SetSeed (uint32_t seed) [**]
>
> 7)  allow getting the global seed+run number from an env var. Suggested
> format: NS_RNG=seed:run where seed is a single 32 bit number. Also
> support NS_RNG=print [**]
>
> 8) support command-line options which override NS_RNG env var. [**]
>   --RngSeed=seed (seed is a single 32 bit number)
>   --RngRun=run
>
> 9) make it possible to change the seed of a specific RandomVariable
> instance using GtkConfigStore and with Config::Set ("/...", ..)  [**]
>
> 10) get rid of     static uint32_t SeedManager::GetSeed ();  [***]
>
> 11)  the seed and run numbers automatically
> end up in the ConfigStore output for any given execution. [****]

It seems to me that 6), 7), 8), 9) and 10) should be dealt with now, and
11) may be dealt with later (there is bug 476 to track 11).  6) is
related to 9).

In addition, there are some implementation questions and patches around
that I haven't summarized above (the above focuses on API issues).

Other comments?

- Tom