[Ns-developers] Random Variables API changes

Mathieu Lacage mathieu.lacage at sophia.inria.fr
Mon Jan 19 12:31:32 PST 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 12:57 +0100, Mathieu Lacage wrote:

> I wonder why you don't just forward all the SeedManager::Set/Get method
> calls to the RngStream class rather than keep track of your own global
> see: it would save you from having to keep your own set of static global
> seeds (the same variables are stored in RngStream), you could move
> the ::Initialize code below to RngStream::RngStream and remove the call
> to ::Initialize from all the GetValue methods.

I implemented the necessary bits in RngStream for the above (in attached
patch). The only missing piece is modifying the RandomVariable code
which I could do if you want me to.

> 4) From an implementation perspective, I think that you are missing the
> NS_RNG env variable handling and the various --Rng* command line options
> I suggested in:
> http://mailman.isi.edu/pipermail/ns-developers/2008-November/004907.html

as well as the code necessary for the above. There is a big XXX which I
don't know how to fix: I assume that michele will know what to do which
is why I CCed her.

Patch attached: would you mind try to iterate this patch once more asap
to make progress on this issue ? (I tested these additions and they seem
to work)

regards,
Mathieu