[Ns-developers] building NS-3 with waf
gjcarneiro at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 17:12:21 PST 2007
I have been playing with building NS-3 with waf. What I have so far is
To me, waf appears:
1. Orders of magnitude faster than scons;
2. Better user interface (try "waf build -p", you'll get a progress
3. Simpler api for developers to use;
4. Clean separation between configuration and building;
5. More high-level than scons, in particular regarding installation
prefix and directories;
6. You can ship waf with NS-3 (we need to ship just one 100 KB file),
thus making NS-3 more easy to build (only python needed then, rather than
python + scons).
Of course some of the flaws of scons are already taken care of by the '
build.py' framework provided in NS. But in my opinion maintaining such a
framework for just one project is hard work we can easily avoid by using
My code only builds the main ns-3 source code (the 'src' dir) and one
sample program. No docs either. I just wanted to evaluate waf, for now,
and gather feedback.
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
"The universe is always one step beyond logic."
More information about the Ns-developers