[Jairsubscribers] 6 new articles published by JAIR

jair-ed@isi.edu jair-ed at isi.edu
Mon Aug 30 18:45:18 PDT 2010

Dear JAIR subscriber:
 This message lists papers that have been recently published in JAIR and describes how to access them. (If you wish to remove yourself from this mailing list, see instructions at the end of this message.)

I. New JAIR Articles

P.  A. Ortega and D.  A. Braun (2010)
  "A Minimum Relative Entropy Principle for Learning and Acting",
   Volume 38, pages 475-511

   For quick access go to <http://www.jair.org/papers/paper3062.html>

Abstract:
This paper proposes a method to construct an adaptive agent that is universal with respect to a given class of experts, where each expert is designed specifically for a particular environment. This adaptive control problem is formalized as the problem of minimizing the relative entropy of the adaptive agent from the expert that is most suitable for the unknown environment. If the agent is a passive observer, then the optimal solution is the well-known Bayesian predictor. However, if the agent is active, then its past actions need to be treated as causal interventions on the I/O stream rather than normal probability conditions. Here it is shown that the solution to this new variational problem is given by a stochastic controller called the Bayesian control rule, which implements adaptive behavior as a mixture of experts. Furthermore, it is shown that under mild assumptions, the Bayesian control rule converges to the control law of the most suitable expert.

M.  Benisch, G.  B. Davis and T.  Sandholm (2010)
  "Algorithms for Closed Under Rational Behavior (CURB) Sets",
   Volume 38, pages 513-534

   For quick access go to <http://www.jair.org/papers/paper3070.html>

Abstract:
We provide a series of algorithms demonstrating that solutions according to the fundamental game-theoretic solution concept of closed under rational behavior (CURB) sets in two-player, normal-form games can be computed in polynomial time (we also discuss extensions to n-player games). First, we describe an algorithm that identifies all of a player’s best responses conditioned on the belief that the other player will play from within a given subset of its strategy space. This algorithm serves as a subroutine in a series of polynomial-time algorithms for finding all minimal CURB sets, one minimal CURB set, and the smallest minimal CURB set in a game. We then show that the complexity of finding a Nash equilibrium can be exponential only in the size of a game’s smallest CURB set. Related to this, we show that the smallest CURB set can be an arbitrarily small portion of the game, but it can also be arbitrarily larger than the supports of its only enclosed Nash equilibrium. We test our algorithms empirically and find that most commonly studied academic games tend to have either very large or very small minimal CURB sets.

J.  de Bruijn and S.  Heymans (2010)
  "Logical Foundations of RDF(S) with Datatypes ",
   Volume 38, pages 535-568

   For quick access go to <http://www.jair.org/papers/paper3088.html>

Abstract:
The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a Semantic Web standard that provides a data language, simply called RDF, as well as a lightweight ontology language, called RDF Schema. We investigate embeddings of RDF in logic and show how standard logic programming and description logic technology can be used for reasoning with RDF. We subsequently consider extensions of RDF with datatype support, considering D entailment, defined in the RDF semantics specification, and D* entailment, a semantic weakening of D entailment, introduced by ter Horst. We use the embeddings and properties of the logics to establish novel upper bounds for the complexity of deciding entailment. We subsequently establish two novel lower bounds, establishing that RDFS entailment is PTime-complete and that simple-D entailment is coNP-hard, when considering arbitrary datatypes, both in the size of the entailing graph. The results indicate that RDFS may not be as lightweight as one may expect.

M.  A. Abedin, V.  Ng and L.  Khan (2010)
  "Cause Identification from Aviation Safety Incident Reports via Weakly Supervised Semantic Lexicon Construction",
   Volume 38, pages 569-631

   For quick access go to <http://www.jair.org/papers/paper2986.html>

Abstract:
The Aviation Safety Reporting System collects voluntarily submitted reports on aviation safety incidents to facilitate research work aiming to reduce such incidents. To effectively reduce these incidents, it is vital to accurately identify why these incidents occurred. More precisely, given a set of possible causes, or shaping factors, this task of cause identification involves identifying all and only those shaping factors that are responsible for the incidents described in a report. We investigate two approaches to cause identification. Both approaches exploit information provided by a semantic lexicon, which is automatically constructed via Thelen and Riloff's Basilisk framework augmented with our linguistic and algorithmic modifications. The first approach labels a report using a simple heuristic, which looks for the words and phrases acquired during the semantic lexicon learning process in the report. The second approach recasts cause identification as a text classification problem, employing supervised and transductive text classification algorithms to learn models from incident reports labeled with shaping factors and using the models to label unseen reports. Our experiments show that both the heuristic-based approach and the learning-based approach (when given sufficient training data) outperform the baseline system significantly.

G.  Greco, E.  Malizia, L.  Palopoli and F.  Scarcello (2010)
  "Non-Transferable Utility Coalitional Games via Mixed-Integer Linear Constraints",
   Volume 38, pages 633-685

   For quick access go to <http://www.jair.org/papers/paper3060.html>

Abstract:
Coalitional games serve the purpose of modeling payoff distribution problems in scenarios where agents can collaborate by forming coalitions in order to obtain higher worths than by acting in isolation. In the classical Transferable Utility (TU) setting, coalition worths can be freely distributed amongst agents. However, in several application scenarios, this is not the case and the Non-Transferable Utility setting (NTU) must be considered, where additional application-oriented constraints are imposed on the possible worth distributions.

In this paper, an approach to define NTU games is proposed which is based on describing allowed distributions via a set of mixed-integer linear constraints applied to an underlying TU game. It is shown that such games allow non-transferable conditions on worth distributions to be specified in a natural and succinct way. The properties and the relationships among the most prominent solution concepts for NTU games that hold when they are applied on (mixed-integer) constrained games are investigated. Finally, a thorough analysis is carried out to assess the impact of issuing constraints on the computational complexity of some of these solution concepts.

J.  Wu and R.  Givan (2010)
  "Automatic Induction of Bellman-Error Features for Probabilistic Planning",
   Volume 38, pages 687-755

   For quick access go to <http://www.jair.org/papers/paper3021.html>

Abstract:
Domain-specific features are important in representing problem structure throughout machine learning and decision-theoretic planning. In planning, once state features are provided, domain-independent algorithms such as approximate value iteration can learn weighted combinations of those features that often perform well as heuristic estimates of state value (e.g., distance to the goal). Successful applications in real-world domains often require features crafted by human experts. Here, we propose automatic processes for learning useful domain-specific feature sets with little or no human intervention. Our methods select and add features that describe state-space regions of high inconsistency in the Bellman equation (statewise Bellman error) during approximate value iteration. Our method can be applied using any real-valued-feature hypothesis space and corresponding learning method for selecting features from training sets of state-value pairs. We evaluate the method with hypothesis spaces defined by both relational and propositional feature languages, using nine probabilistic planning domains. We show that approximate value iteration using a relational feature space performs at the state-of-the-art in domain-independent stochastic relational planning. Our method provides the first domain-independent approach that plays Tetris successfully (without human-engineered features).

articles", enter your email address in the form at the bottom of the
page, and follow the directions.  In the event that you've already
deleted yourself from the list and we keep sending you messages like
this one, send mail to jair-ed at isi.edu.